Jose Gutman is a founding member of Fleit Intellectual Property Law. Jose represents clients in all types of matters related to patent law, trademark law, copyright law, and trade secret law. His patent practice focuses on all aspects of patent law, particularly electrical and computer engineering, cloud computing, software systems, semiconductor manufacturing, and wireless communication systems. Jose has substantial experience with technology licensing. Jose represents clients ranging from Fortune 50 companies to individual inventors.
Before becoming a patent lawyer, Jose was a design engineer with Motorola, Inc., designing paging systems and wireless communication products, and is a frequent lecturer to companies and organizations on intellectual property.
– Juris Doctorate, University of Miami, Cum Laude
– Intellectual Property Summer Institute, Franklin Pierce Law Center
– MS, Georgia Institute of Technology, Electrical Engineering
– BS, Florida State University, Mathematics and Computer Science
– BS, Florida State University, Business Administration and Marketing
Focus of Practice
Patent Prosecution; Client Counseling Regarding Patentability, Non-Infringement/Clearance, Invalidity, and Landscape Opinions; Trademark Prosecution; Client Counseling Regarding Trademark Use & Registration; Trademark Oppositions and Cancellations; Patent and Trademark Litigation Support; IP Licensing, IP Harvesting, and IP Due Diligence; Expert Witness.
Bar Memberships/Court Memberships
– United States Patent and Trademark Office
– Florida Bar
– American Intellectual Property Law Association
– Past President of the Patent Law Association of South Florida
– Inventors Society of South Florida
– Licensing Executive Society
Seminars and Publications
– Lecture, IBM, 2018 Patent Law Topics, Maintaining Novelty with Pre-filing Disclosure Under the AIA: Exceptions To 102 Prior Art
– Lecture, University of Florida Law & Technology Conference, Patent Licensing Negotiation
– Speaker, Young Entrepreneurs Academy, Central Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce, Overview of Business Entities and IP Law For Commercializing Inventions & Startups
– Lecture, Inventor’s Society of South Florida, lectured on numerous topics including Trademark Law and Branding For Commercializing Inventions; Trade Secret Law and Confidentiality Agreements; Overview of IP Licensing Fundamentals.
– Speaker, University of Florida Law & Technology Conference, lectured on topics including Consortium Licensing and Patent Valuation
– Speaker, Innovation Expo & Conference, Licensing Intellectual Property
– Frequent lecturer at general practice law firms regarding Intellectual Property Issues
Former Teaching Assistant, Computer Programming, Georgia Institute of Technology
– Founding Attorney, Intellectual Property Practice Group, Gunster, Yoakley & Stewart, P.A.
– Senior staff design engineer designing wireless communication products, Motorola, Inc.
– Patent Attorney, Motorola, Inc.